Hi BBT readers,
Today’s recipe is Okra soup. Okra soup is widely eaten in many parts of Nigeria and it is usually eaten with eba, pounded yam, semovita/semolina and many more. This is one of my recipes for making Okra soup. I like this recipe because, with just a few ingredients, you can make this quick delicious dish. You know as a student running on a budget, you can only be happy when you are even able to enjoy fish and meat in one pot but if you have more than fish and beef like cow skin, cow tail, shrimps, dry fish, you can use them. It’s all up to you and your pot. I’m jumping right into it so here we go;
Ingredients used in this recipe
- Knorr cubes
- Scotch bonnet
- Dry pepper
- Palm oil
- Spinach (optional)
How to make this okra soup recipe
- Boil your meat with water, onions, knorr cubes and salt until almost tender.
- Slice your okra into desired chunks. In this recipe, okra was sliced into little chunks.
- Pour little palm oil into your boiling meat before adding your scotch bonnet or dry pepper, crayfish, and a little water if needed (the water in the pot should depend on the sliced okra in order for your soup not to be too watery).
- Check for salt and then add little if needed before putting your okra into the pot.
- After okra has been cooked for roughly three minutes, place fish into the boiling soup on low heat one by one before closing to cook. It was placed at this point because fish doesn’t take long to cook and it would soak in the flavor from the soup.
- After about a few minutes when the fish has been cooked, open pot and sprinkle sliced spinach (I didn’t add any because I was out of it but this is optional). Cook for extra two minutes then take it down from the heat before serving.
- Serve with any swallow of your choice.
- That’s it oo, very quick simple dish right?😉
Please don’t mind the serving plate (that was mine 🙈). I didn’t plan on posting some recipes and the ones that will follow.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you haven’t. You can do that by clicking on the follow button below.