Today I’m going to talk about my problems or should I say experience being a tall Nigerian girl…or just being a tall girl.
Maybe you don’t know but I am a Nigerian girl who is 6 ft 3 inches tall. Yes! I am very tall, I’m aware but sometimes some people just like to take things too far. I am sharing with you some of my problems/experiences being a tall girl. Do you know one funny thing though? I was very tiny as a baby.
- People will always say you’re too tall.
- The need for people to always remind you that you are tall: “Do you know that you’re tall?” (No oo, I never knew. I’m just observing)
3. A man I saw at the local market in Nigeria, when I was younger once said to me: “aunty, you wan reach heaven?(meaning: do I want to be too tall to the extent of reaching the sky).” I should have been like 14 years old or there about. I got really pissed though but my aunt who was there with me defended me. Haha.
4. The struggle with getting new pants. It’s either it’s your size but never the right length or the right length but not the right size or the old outdated pants with the perfect fit. *rolls eyes* Just great!
5. Struggling to take pictures with your friends and having to bend or not even bothering to take pictures with them so you just feel left alone.
6. People always saying you’ll never find a husband because you’re too tall for a girl. Please, are you God?
7. People always saying you should either be a model or a basketballer to the extent that some people will ask you why you’re still going to school or call you a waste. It’s flattering but sometimes when people are not understanding, it can be annoying. Please teach me the skills now and if you have a contract for me to sign, no problem. Just bring it. You know where to find me. Oh! And they also want to be your manager. 🙂
8. Sleeping diagonally in a bed because if you slept straight, your legs would be sticking out at the end because you’re taller than the bed’s length. Or even when the blanket is not long enough.
9. Having to bend while passing through doors so you just don’t lose your head.
10. Finding that really nice dress or skirt but too short to wear because they only came in small sizes and they didn’t consider taller women. Not to mention the shirt-dress type of mix up especially when you never find a dress that is supposed to be long on you.
11. The need for people to stare when you walk into a room like they had just seen a strange creature.
12. When I wear heels, I feel like I’m at the same level as Mount Everest.
13. People always feel because I’m tall, I’m either a bully or wicked. “You’re intimidating,” they say.
14. Not knowing how to place your legs and feeling very uncomfortable when seated behind at the passenger’s seat in a car.
15. People always say; “You have long legs….and long feet. Your neck is long as well” (I’m not even going to comment 😐 )
16. People always comparing height with you.
16. People always call you to help them grab or reach for something from some place much higher than them. Biko (please), how did it get there in the first place?
18. Guys always saying that they can’t hang around with tall girls.
19. People who just look at you and assume you are a tomboy because you’re a tall girl.
20. Climbing into a shower and finding out that you are taller than it so you have to use the hand shower instead.
21. Finding it hard to cross your legs when seated at a desk.
22. When you have to bend to use a wall mirror.
23. Some people ask; “Do you love eating beans?” (some people believe eating a lot of beans makes you tall)
23. The need for people to give you nicknames like tally, tall girl, tree, giraffe, giant, iroko, ogologo, longy….etc
This list can go on forever but you know what? Even with all of these, I would never wish to be any different. I love my height and I love myself. There are actually as many benefits as there are problems too. I might share them later but I just thought to share these with you because they are actually kind of hilarious. Let me know if you relate to these. You can leave comments telling me the ones I missed out, your experiences being tall or with tall people and what not. I can’t wait to see them. 😀
All animated images used in this post do not belong to me and I take no credit for them. They were gotten from giphy.